Trip to Bird Island

 

Bird Island (Or known locally as Isla del San Jorge) is an Island approximately 22 miles away from Rocky Point. I first learned of this Island last Summer when I was at Encantame Towers with my family looking to buy a condo down here. I noticed an Island far off in the distance and I was told by the person giving us the tour that the Island is a refuge for Seabirds and Sea Lions. I thought it would be cool to visit the Island one day and see the wildlife up close. Nearly 10 months later, My dream would become a reality.


We got to the dock around 7 am and loaded up onto the boat. Since I wasn’t scuba certified I would be going to snorkel instead. It took us nearly an hour to get to Bird Island but on our way there we saw 3 Mantas swimming around our boat. Afterwards we then saw 2 Humpback whales swimming which was really cool. As soon as we got to the Island we again saw another 2 humpbacks (probably the same 2 from earlier) breaching over and over again. My classmates and I managed to get some amazing videos and pictures of them and it was a once in a lifetime sight and experience. 

 


We then made it to the Island and snorkeled for a bit. Although the water was a bit murky, we still got to see Sea Lions up close and observe their playful behavior. It was very interesting to see and yesterdays boat trip was an amazing experience. -Adel Redzepi 

 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We made it to CEDO!

Some cool intertidal organisms