Sea of Cortez

 One of the my favorite parts of the trip so far is learning about and being around the Gulf of California or the Sea of Cortez. Through the professors and Ms. Paloma I learned that the Sea of Cortez is a relatively young ocean. I also learned that it is very shallow, really saline water, and has extreme temperatures with it being really warm in the summer and really cold in the winters. I also learned that because of these reasons the Sea of Cortez is home to many different marine organisms. One thing however that I didn’t enjoy learning about was the declining population of vaquitas. I was saddened to learn that throughout the years from net fishing their population decreased from just under a thousand to 10 vaquitas left (this is the recorded number could be a bit more) I hope the marine biologist and the other brilliant scientists involved can help restore this organism.

-Hector Tucto 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We made it to CEDO!

Some cool intertidal organisms