Marine Mammal Spotting

Today was one of my favorite days of the trip. We took two boats down to Bird Island located in the Sea of Cortez.



The Sea of Cortez is known as a whale sanctuary and we got lucky with what we spotted. Two humpback whales scientifically known as Megaptera novaeangliae apart of the phylum Chordata that we got briefed on just yesterday breached the surface. They moved all around allowing for us to see them playing and dancing. They were huge and beautiful, and these pictures do not do them justice. 



This was supposedly a rare siting since Humpback whales emerge for a few minutes every so often, so our timing was perfect.


When we arrived to Bird Island, we spotted blue footed boobies flying above and all around. The white covering the island is actually their guano (scientific name for poop).


(Pictures included at bottom)


I got to experience my first time scuba diving in the ocean and was surrounded by Sea Lions above and below as we dove to 33 feet. Many of my friends that I've made on the trip were above snorkeling and experiencing the Sea Lions up close as well. The male Sea lions surrounded us letting us know that they were protecting the females and young. I got a nip on my scuba fin but the Sea lions are just playfully letting me know they are there as they are curious, beautiful creatures. What a wonderful way to start the weekend on our marine biology trip.



-Kat T.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We made it to CEDO!

Some cool intertidal organisms